Sunday, November 29, 2009

The House On Tradd Street



Synopsis(courtesy of Barnes and Noble):

Practical Melanie Middleton hates to admit she can see ghosts. But she's going to have to accept it. An old man she recently met has died, leaving her his historic Tradd Street home, complete with housekeeper, dog—and a family of ghosts anxious to tell her their secrets.

Enter Jack Trenholm, a gorgeous writer obsessed with unsolved mysteries. He has reason to believe that diamonds from the Confederate Treasury are hidden in the house. So he turns the charm on with Melanie, only to discover he's the smitten one...

It turns out Jack's search has caught the attention of a malevolent ghost. Now, Jack and Melanie must unravel a mystery of passion, heartbreak—and even murder.

My Review:

I really enjoyed this book. It has a historical fiction feel to it even thought it takes place in the present time. I loved the mystery and the paranormal feel to the story too. The house in the story reads like a character. I think old homes are characters and have stories to tell if we just listen. I liked that there is some romance in the story but it doesn't overpower the mystery that is trying to be uncovered. I think Karen White did an excellent job describing the house and I truly felt at times like I was right there in the story. Melanie was quite interesting. She was not thrilled at all inheriting the old house. She became obsessed with it quickly though and made obnoxious schedules for the work that needed to be done on the house. Jack was interested in finding out the mysterious history associated with the house but soon found himself under the spell of the house too. The two of them take quite a journey learning the secrets that the house holds. I don't want to give too much of the story away. It really had me on the edge of my seat. I look forward to reading the next book, The Girl On Legare Street to find out what mystery Melanie and Jack will uncover next.

I read this library book during the Thankfully Reading Weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be reviewing "The Girl on Legare Street" this week. I enjoyed it even more than this one. Hope you get a chance to read it soon.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please feel free to leave them!